September is around the corner – Cosmetology AM & PM classes starting
Course: Cosmetology Program
Course Length: 1250 hours
INSTITUTIONAL GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
The primary objective of SHEARS is to provide learning opportunities and educational experiences primarily for students of Pennsylvania.
To train the student with adequate instruction for the licensing examination. To train the students with knowledge and skills for employment in an entry level position in the cosmetology field.
Cosmetology is the cosmetic treatment of the skin, hair and nails. The art of cosmetology is the actual performance of the many beauty cultural practices. To derive the utmost benefit from Cosmetology; practical performance, demonstration and practice are employed in conjunction with the study of theory.
Methods of lecture, demonstration, drills, role-play, discussion, handouts, assignment sheets/job sheet, audio/visual aids, student participation, question and answer, and textbook/workbook will be utilized. Introducing new material in a manner to which the student may relate. Giving special attention to slow learners. Encouraging questions, explaining new words, terms, techniques, implements and equipment. Requiring that students take notes. Using demonstration that includes student participation. Listing new words on the boards.
Upon completion of the Cosmetology program, the student will be able to:
- Analyze hair and scalp problems and administer corrective treatments.
- Have a thorough knowledge of anatomy, hair structure and chemistry.
- Administer cold/acid waving techniques.
- Administer chemical and physical techniques.
- Care and styling of wigs.
- Administer a professional shampoo.
- Administer hair coloring.
- Create hair styles through the use of roller placement, thermal waving/curling, finger waves, pin curls and blow curling/waving.
- Administer a facial with make-up, and remove superfluous hair.
- Administer a professional manicure, pedicure, and nail extensions.
- Operate/open a salon and employ the principles and practices of salon management.
- Employ basic first aid measures.
- Practice good hygiene and good grooming.
- Practice professional ethics and personality development.
- Drape for a cosmetology service.
- Employ rules of sanitation and sterilization.
- Employ safety precautions.
- Practice and employ the rules, regulations, and laws of the Pennsylvania State Board of Cosmetologists.
- Administer a professional hair shaping.
- Practice good salesmanship.
- Seek and obtain employment.
For additional information, download our 2018 catalog
Now enrolling! Register for classes today!